Thursday, May 18, 2006

but work IS a four letter word

Hillary criticizes the work habits of the young folk, then Chided by Daughter, she retracts her criticism:
Mrs. Clinton said her daughter, Chelsea, called to complain after learning about her remarks at a gathering of the United States Chamber of Commerce in Washington on Thursday. In that speech, Mrs. Clinton criticized young people for having a sense of entitlement after growing up in a "culture that has a premium on instant gratification."

"My daughter heard that I'd said that, and she called and she said, 'Mom, I do work hard and my friends work hard,' " Mrs. Clinton said on Sunday in a commencement address at the C. W. Post campus of Long Island University.

"And I said, 'I'm sorry, I didn't mean to convey the impression that you don't work hard,' " Mrs. Clinton continued. "I just want to set the bar high, because we are in a competition for the future."
Chelsea is right. My friends work hard as well. I think too hard. I have friends who are taking on jobs that require at least 60 hours in the office a week. One was describing his schedule: wake up at 6:30, get to the office by 7:30, work straight through till about 9 pm, because if he stays past 8, dinner is on them, go to the gym for an hour, get home by about 10:30 pm, watch TV for an hour, and retire. Now is that a way to live?

I for one don't plan on working that hard. I hope not to at least. I think working hard is overrated. We should learn from the European's: long lunch breaks, more vacation, chilled work environment. Laziness is a virtue when it comes to enjoying life. Unless you enjoy working hard, or you do humanitarian work, I say, don't listen to Hillary, and take it easy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home