Wednesday, July 12, 2006

the under-privileged sex

Lines extracted from several letters published under: Yes, College Women Work Harder (8 Letters):
The simple truth is that women work harder because we have to; men coast because they can.

Where are the legions of women dominating senior, high-paying positions? Women earn just under half of the doctoral degrees and make up only about 39 percent of the faculty in degree-granting institutions. The average salary of male faculty exceeds that of female faculty.

In general, men take risks, do not interrupt careers to bear and raise children, and tend to be confident. (Right so...if the women didn't take the time to bear and raise children, umm...who would?)

During the last three years, I have taught hundreds of students in introductory college history classes, and I can confirm that my female students usually perform better and work harder.
I'm all for going back to the traditional household (don't quote me on this, since I'm not really*), but if we're going to work, we should at least get treated fairly (payed equally for starters).

*I’m in this mode where if it were up to me, I would prefer not to work, or only very part time, or I think I just really might want to go back to school...But I wouldn’t want anyone telling me that I couldn’t if I wanted to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home