Thursday, June 22, 2006

my “to read” list is too rapidly decreasing

My commute has drastically increased my consumption rate of books. I’m afraid that if I don’t get some new suggestions soon, I won’t know what to read in a couple months, and I’ll have no choice but to learn Latin or something... I most recently completed The Genius Factory (The Curious History of the Nobel Prize Sperm Bank) by David Plotz. I found it extremely interesting, well written, and would highly recommend it. Some excerpts:
I was not much closer to wanting to be a donor than I had been before I started, but I was closer to understanding why someone else might want to do it. In the abstract, donating sperm had seemed fundamentally silly. But actually doing it was seductive. I have been accepted by the ultraexclusive Fairfax Cryobank! My sperm was “well above average”! My count was 105 million! What’s yours, George Clooney? Amanda, lovely Amanda, had asked for my help. The women of America—barren, desolate, desperate—needed me. They yearned for my B-positive, brown-eyed, six-foot-one-inch, HIV-negative, drug-free, heart-attack-prone, only slightly mentally ill sperm. And what kind of selfish monster was I to deny it to them?

“It was a screwed-up idea, making genius people,” he [Doron Blank, poster child of the Nobel sperm bank] said. “The fact that I have a huge IQ does not make me a person who is good or happy. People come expecting me to have all these achievements under my belt, and I don’t. I have not done anything that special.

“I don’t think being intelligent is what makes a person. What makes a person is being raised in a loving family with loving parents who don’t pressure them. If I was born with an IQ of 100 instead of 180, I could do just as much with my life. I don’t think you can breed for good people.”

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn’t read this book but I've read his column on slate called blogging the bible. Check it out, it’s really interesting.

6/22/2006 8:32 PM  
Blogger Goldie said...

A friend beat you to the blogging the bible recommendation: I already checked it out a couple months ago. But thanks anyway :).

But check this out: www.thegeniusfactory.net

6/23/2006 7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home